THAI-AMERICAN NATIONAL INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Thai-American National Internship Program (TANIP) is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Thai-American students and young graduates to gain a firsthand look at the American government and political system in Washington D.C., and to reflect on the role they, as future leaders, might play in enhancing the voice of the Thai community in their states.
Sponsored by the Royal Thai Embassy, in consultation with the U.S.-Asia Institute, the 2019 program is organized to provide the opportunity for Thai-American students and young graduates to come to Washington D.C. from June 3 – July 26, 2019 (8 weeks) to get hands-on experience in the policymaking process.
Format: The program includes one week of orientation where students will be introduced to how the American government works through a series of meetings with policy makers and influencers from the government, business, academia, and the diplomatic community. The student will then be placed in shadowing/internship positions for six weeks of hands-on experience. They will spend their last week interning at the Royal Thai Embassy to gain insight into that perspective on Thai-U.S. relations.
Expenses: Participants are responsible for all expenses related to the program including travel to Washington DC and return to home (click here for a list of available housing options); food; ground transportation throughout the program; and cultural and spending money. All participants must, after acceptance into the program, show proof of health insurance. Scholarships may be available to defray part of the costs of the program with the amount to be determined.
1. Candidate qualifications
- Age 18-25 years old
- An undergraduate degree OR enrolled as a full-time undergraduate /or graduate student in good academic standing
- U.S. citizenship
- Leadership ability and good interpersonal skills
- Record of community service
2. Application process
Candidates can access the online application by clicking HERE or by visiting “http://thaiembdc.org/tanip2019application” The online application form and other required documents must be submitted by January 11, 2019.
The online application form will ask for:
- Resume (click HERE for resume sample)
- Statement of Intent and Impact
- A copy of most recent transcript
- A copy of parent’s ID, passport or any official document as proof of Thai citizenship
- A copy of the voter registration card
- Two academic letters of recommendation
- Optional: an additional letter of recommendation from a community service organization, preferably a Thai-American organization
3. Selection process:
1) A selection committee comprised of qualified individuals from the Royal Thai Embassy and the U.S.-Asia Institute will consider the applications. Qualified candidates will be contacted directly for a phone or video conference interview with the selection committee.
2) Final candidates will be contacted directly by the end of January 2019 and the results will be announced on the Royal Thai Embassy’s website.
For more information, contact the Royal Thai Embassy at firstname.lastname@example.org /202-298-4799, or U.S.-Asia Institute at email@example.com /202-544-3181